Barnt Green Surgery

0121 445 1704

8:00am – 6:30pm, Monday to Friday

Using the Out of Hours Service

Please remember this service is for use in urgent situations only

If you need medical advice when the surgery is closed call 111.

They will give you advice and direct you to the appropriate service, which may be to attend an emergency centre.

You must always telephone before attending the emergency centre. 

The Centres operate between 6.30pm – 8.00am Monday to Friday and all day Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

It must be stressed that difficulties with transport are not a reason to request a visit. In emergencies, relatives, neighbours or a local taxi service can be called upon to help.

All telephone calls will be taped for quality control purposes but all safeguards of medical confidentiality still apply.

As a general guide to out of hours calls:

  1. Visits will only be undertaken for elderly bed-bound patients and patients with a terminal illness.
  2. An ambulance should be called for the following:-
  • Chest pain (suspected heart attack)
  • Severe shortness of breath
  • Excessive bleeding
  • Collapse

A GP would not normally visit for the following:-

  • Common childhood illnesses and fevers
  • Diarrhoea and sickness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Flu-like illness
  • Cough, sore throats etc
  • General malaise, joint pain and poor mobility
  • Back pain

It does no harm to bring a child with a fever to a centre and all these problems are best addressed at a medical centre.

For advice on home treatment please click here